Monday, May 31, 2010

Stone Wall for a New Garden


It's been a while since I either did or posted any projects but the dry spell is now over (at least for now!).
Right after we built the house, we had a giant, 3-story pile of dirt and stone. We spent a few hours pulling out the best stone and piling it in the yard. Having a pile of wall-stone is great, but boy, can it ever get in the way. I built a garden wall a couple years a ago with quite a bit of it but still had some left over.

We moved the left over stone to a pile on the side of the yard and there it sat for a few years. In the meantime, the brush really grew up around it and it just plain looked like hell. (I don't have a "before" photo, but trust me.)
Finally, Sarah and I pulled ourselves together and first decided what to do (the hard part IMO) and then started. This new wall for a garden or patio is the result. Each end is punctuated by quite a large stone and the two arms curve a bit to meet at a point in the back.
We're not sure if this will become a perennial garden, a seating area, or a new outdoor kitchen with a cobb oven. Regardless of what it becomes in the future, though, the work had to be done so that we could have fun going on to the next steps.
I learned quite a bit about building stone walls about 6 or 7 years ago when I helped build a large stone retaining wall in a construction project at our Waldorf school. I got to work with an experienced wall building who taught me a lot of tricks about not only putting the wall together but "seeing" the stone, moving the stone (a hand-truck is great), and modifying the shape of the stone with a maul and a cold-chisel (sometimes just a few chips can make a stone fit perfectly).

No comments:

Post a Comment