Sunday, December 12, 2010

Generator Enclosure

We are lucky enough to have a small generator that can be plugged into a secondary electric panel to run the critical systems in the house: heat/hot water, water pump, refrigerator, a few lights. This allows us to be without power pretty much indefinitely without an adverse impact on the house.
The issue was, though, that we stored the generator on the porch so when we needed it, we had to move it. It's very heavy; in fact, it's really too heavy for two people to lift. When I'm around, I move it with the tractor but Sarah's pretty much up the creek when I'm not around. I built this enclosure so that we can keep the generator in the right place without having it exposed to the weather.
This photo shows how I normally start projects like this. I have a journal that I sketch, take notes, make estimates in, etc. It's very helpful. Of course, I always end up improvising a bit while I'm building, but this way at least I have the rough outline of what I'm going to do before I start.
The enclosure is made from 1/2" B/C plywood and 2x3 studs. Hardware is galvanized. I painted it with Behr (Home Depot brand) primer/paint combination. That stuff was great to work with: covered in just one coat. I've got a bundle of shingles ready to put on the lid but we really needed to get the thing in place first, so I'll do the shingles a bit later.
The goal was to match (at least for the most part) our existing trash/recycling enclosure; I'd say I was pretty much successful. The colors, shape, and size pretty much match so at least the new one doesn't stand out too much.
Not exactly the funnest project to build but very useful.

No comments:

Post a Comment