Sunday, May 18, 2014

Franken Mower

My lawnmower frightens me. I brought it up from the barn this morning so that I could mow the lawn. When I say I store it "in the barn" that just means that it's out of the snow and wet. I put an upside-down garden cart over it to add a bit more cover but it's basically outside all winter. So when I brought it up this morning, I fully expected to have to fuss with it. But did I? No, sir. I put a little oil in it, pushed the primer bubble a few times and then that thing just fired right up.
It's about 15 or 16 years old by now. I took it for a "tune up" a couple years ago. (I'm not really sure what the guy did to it.) I've replaced the blade once and I've sharpened it (badly) a few times. Aside from that, I put gas in it and oil when I remember and just run it. One of the front wheels is a bit wonky and can fold backwards if I hit a bump too hard and it's a bitch to steer but that thing just ... keeps....going.
It's a Tecumseh 6.5 HP motor on a Craftsman deck. I just can't kill it. And now that Helen's off to college, I need it to run for a few more years because I don't want to spend the money on a new one!

No comments:

Post a Comment