Sunday, May 18, 2014

Porch Screen Refit - The Sequel


My faithful readers will remember that a year ago I spend hours and hours refitting the screens on our porch. I went through a long, tedious process of routing grooves around all the openings and securing the screens with spline. It felt great when it was done but it started to fail within a few weeks.
The spline just didn't stay in to keep the screens in place. It must be because I routed grooves that were too big or not deep enough or too deep. Who knows? All I know is that by mid-winter I had to pull them all off because they were so droopy and crappy looking that it was just too much to look at.
So this year I'm trying something a bit different. Basically, I wrapped the screen around the sides of each frame and stapled the crap out of it. By wrapping the screen around the frames, the staples are all covered by the porch trim. I was able to get them nice and snug and thanks to the use of a Craftsman electric stapler, I didn't kill my hands putting in all those staples.
We'll see how well they hold up.

No comments:

Post a Comment