Thursday, December 25, 2014

Handmade Christmas 2014 - Infinity Scarf


This scarf is my first handmade Christmas gift of 2014. I got ahead of the curve this year and finished this one before Thanksgiving. That may be a record for me!
I pretty much followed this YouTube tutorial to do it.
It took 3 skeins of super bulky yarn and an 11.5 mm "P" hook.


Since it's an infinity scarf and I want Helen to be able to wrap it around her neck three times, I started with a 72" chain.



Here's my progress after 1 complete skein. You can see that there's at least one extra twist in this photo (foreshadowing!).
(I'm not sure why it's so blue in this photo. It doesn't look that blue in reality. At least, not to me.)


Here it is after 2 skeins. Kinda twisty.


So enough suspense: it was so twisted when I finished (at least three twists: I have no idea how I did that) that I pulled the whole thing apart and started from scratch. I basically got the hang of the half-double-crochet stitch about two thirds of the way through the first scarf so the second time went much quicker AND I only have one twist. I'm really pleased with how it came out. I sure hope she likes it!


Post Script

I liked crocheting the first scarf so much, I made a second one just for the hell of it. Different color, same pattern.

No comments:

Post a Comment