Monday, January 4, 2010

Score the Stump


I got to spend some quality time with my chainsaw over the holidays while I killed a few birds with one stone: I cleared out some trees down by the barn to make some room and I started working on firewood for the 2011-2012 heating season.
I had to take down a few pine trees to get at the maples and oaks but that's OK since I need the room anyway.

A couple years ago, I hosted two logging/chainsaw safety classes at my house and learned a lot about safely bringing down trees, dealing with leaners, and de-limbing them. The course is called "The Game of Logging". The idea is that if you make cutting down trees into a game with points, people will focus on getting the points but at the same time reinforce safety habits. I think that philosophy actually works.
I've done the first two levels of training, which you can read about here.



Turns out my score on the stump isn't that great. I didn't have a tape measure with me so I made my hinge too wide which caused all the other point losses. Here's a rundown on my score (10 points is the highest score):








CriteriaScore
70 degree or greater notchyes2 pts
Hinge thickness should be 2.681.5 inches - no0 pts
Notch cuts meetyes2 pts
Fiber pull less than 3"3.5" - no0 pts
Level back-cut (+/- 1.5"1.5" - yes2 pts
Total 6 pts

So even though the tree feel exactly where I wanted it to, I still didn't get all the points I could for it. I will say, though, that I didn't violate any of the long list of safety criteria.

Let me wrap up by pointing out that while I have been going to the gym regularly since November, no gym work-out can match dropping, limbing, and bucking up trees for sheer cardiac load. It's a blast and it feels great!

No comments:

Post a Comment