Sunday, January 31, 2010

Ski Storage Rack Prototype


For those of you who ski, you're familiar with the clutter and nuisance of ski storage. It always feels like they're either in the way, getting banged up, or, worse, not accessible when you need them. For the last couple years we've been using an antique barrel we picked up at a yard sale but it was just a smidge too small and we didn't like how it was getting abused by the skis. This project set out to fix that.
I spent some time looking around at various solutions. I was looking for something that would meet the following criteria:

  1. Keep the skis and poles neat and tidy
  2. Look decent enough to keep on our porch
  3. Use materials I already had and....
  4. Be as cheap as possible

I think that what I came up with fits the criteria pretty well. The holder (rack?) sits on our porch and doesn't detract from the look of our entrance; it holds plenty of skis and poles (nordic as well as alpine); it used materials I already had; and I didn't have to go out and buy anything!
The plywood is left over from when I enclosed the eaves on our porch and the two-by is left over from the wood shed construction.
I cut the plywood into interlocking slats so they fit together like an egg carton. The holes are 4" square arrayed in a 3x5 grid so there's room for 15 pairs of skis and poles. Each "tube" formed by the interlocking plywood is 13" deep. That's a little tall for kids' skis, but we won't have those around for much longer so I'm not worried about it. Then I wrapped the hole thing in the two-by. Skis are pretty heavy and they take some strength to support so I built this thing pretty tough.
I'm calling it a prototype because the next time I build one of these, I'll use one-by hemlock instead of plywood since I'm not a big fan of how plywood looks. Overall, though, I'd have to say that the ski rack does what it's supposed to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment