Sunday, March 8, 2009

Pizza Peel


Sarah has taken to making homemade pizza for us on the weekends. She's using a baking stone which needs to be heated up in the oven prior to baking. The problem with that is that it's really hard to lay out a pizza on a 500-degree pizza stone. Hence the need for a pizza peel.

I didn't want to spend any money on it so I used 3/4" pine that I had in the shop already. The pizza stone is 13" in diameter so I didn't need to build a giant, restaurant style peel. I edge-glued (with biscuits) two pieces of 1x5 on either side of a longer 1x3 to get a peel that's about 12" wide.

Once the glue had cured, I drew the curves on it as well as the taper. It tapers to a quarter inch on both sides. After cutting the handle out and curves, I hand planed the taper on both sides. Since this is just a prototype that uses what I had on hand, there are a couple knots on the leading edge of the peel that made planing and finishing a bit awkward. If Sarah likes it then I'll build another with better wood that's clearer to make it look better and easier to finish.

The finish is just a coat of mineral oil.

No comments:

Post a Comment