Monday, March 2, 2009

Study Nook


We've been wanting to build this study nook since we moved into the house. As the kids get older, we needed a place for homework that was not the kitchen island so I built this. The desk itself wasn't difficult to design; it was figuring out the shelves that kept me from doing the project. I don't have a router at this time so this was keeping me from doing it. Once I decided to attach the shelves with pocket screws, it all came together for me.

The shelf unit is about 34" x 44". It's made from a 3/4" piece of birch plywood that was left over from the house construction.

The desk is 28 1/2" deep by 45 3/4" wide. There's a u-shaped support screwed into studs in the wall made of 1 1/2" x 1 1/2" supports cut from 2x4s. The top is two pieces of 1/2" A/C plywood glued together. The nook isn't square so the top took some fussing to get in place.

No comments:

Post a Comment