Sunday, March 1, 2009

Why Proud Hands?

In 2003 I was involved in a project to build a new classroom building at the kids' school. I started out on a committee doing the planning and ended up donating dozens of volunteer labor hours. I did everything from helping build a stone retaining wall to laying acres of flooring. I installed kitchens, trimmed windows and doors, put down subfloors and hardwood floors, all kinds of things.

One day I was talking with the architect on the project and was embarrassed by all the cuts, nicks, and scrapes on my hands. Rather than talk down to me, as he could easily have done, he complimented me instead. He said my hands showed how much work I had done and that they were called "proud hands" in the trades. Now, I'm not a fine woodworker or carpenter by any stretch but that compliment and the memory of all the work I did always makes me feel good.

No comments:

Post a Comment